POSITION SUMMARY: Second Harvest Food Bank is seeking a highly-motivated student intern or recent graduate to provide assistance with all accounting and clerical functions. This individual will assist with processing cash disbursements and other administrative duties within the Finance department.
ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all inclusive)
• Assist with accounts payable functions, timely, and accurate processing of invoices, and purchase requisitions using a purchase order system.
• Verifying the validity of invoices, purchase request, and ensure proper authorization and coding.
• Research and follow up on vendor request for outstanding payment status.
• Maintain accurate electronic files on vendors, fixed assets and other required financial records.
• Assist with annual preparation and submission of 1099 reporting.
• Assist with the preparation of journal entries.
• Assist with monthly closing entries.
• Assist with year-end audit preparation.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education: Working towards an Accounting degree or recent graduate.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Must be detail oriented, an independent worker with excellent problem solving, analytical, and organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task with a strong sense of meeting deadlines.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Must exercise strong customer service and diplomacy skills.
• High degree of professionalism, flexibility and initiative.
• Intermediate-level knowledge of MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Committed to organizational mission to ending hunger.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to apply:
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Type “Accounting Intern” as the only content in the subject line of your email.