Position Summary: Second Harvest is seeking a Communication and Development Specialist to support our mission through strategic communication efforts and expanded development capacity. The Communications and Development Specialist reports directly to Communications and Marketing Manager.
Development – Work 50% with Chief Philanthropy Officer and development staff to develop and execute successful organizational fundraising efforts across a diverse array of funding channels; core tasks include:
• Manage a portfolio of sponsor prospects to steward, cultivate and solicit for events and programs
• Compose, edit, and organize grant application and reporting materials
• Expand online giving program, including creating individual donor materials and coordinate mailings
• Maintain funder prospect lists and help cultivate relationships with funders
• Contribute to the organization’s annual planning and priority setting, budgeting, and fundraising processes
• Manage accurate and timely entry and tracking of all donor and funder data, correspondence, contacts and deadlines
• Maintain accurate files which are easily accessible to the Philanthropy and Finance departments.
• Participates in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Maintains a professional, positive and courteous demeanor
Strategic Communications – 50% Work with Communications and Marketing Manager to develop and implement effective ongoing media outreach efforts through traditional and emerging media channels; core tasks include:
• Active cultivation of media contacts and relationships, including maintaining SHFB’s press list and responding to media queries.
• Support and help with strategic plan for external communications materials and digital marketing plan to raise awareness and funds for Second Harvest
• Secure strategic piece placement in print, broadcast, blogs and other online sources
• Track press hits and conduct continual monitoring and analysis of SHFB’s communications reach across media channels
• Assist Communications and Marketing Manager in developing and disseminating press releases
• Assist with brand management to ensure cohesive look and consistent messaging for SHFB.
• Assist with media relations, special events, and social media outreach.
• Maintains and updates SHFB essential program and impact statistics. Collects monthly updates from relevant departments and consolidates in one uniform document.
• Provides periodic analytics support with assistance from development team (e.g., click-throughs, time spent online in key sections, web giving results, correlation to other communications channels/giving behaviors, e.g., mobile, PSAs, etc.) – this includes monthly or bi-monthly reporting.
• Complies with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Fundraising/Development or related field preferred.
Experience: 2-3 years of direct experience.
Skills and Capabilities
• Must possess solid writing and editing skills; excellent written and oral communications capacity.
• Must be highly organized and demonstrate exceptional attention to detail.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, meet deadlines and think creatively/strategically.
• Should be a self-starter.
• Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies
• Ability to build rapport with donors, volunteers, and the general public with diplomacy, discretion, and customer-service orientation.
• Art direction, copy/layout experience is preferred.
• Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign or web-based content management software is a must. Intermediate-level ability with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient in social media applications.
• Must be able to work collaboratively with individuals in different functions and departments.
• Should possess a ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with periodic weekend and evening work.
• Must have reliable transportation and current automobile insurance.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be substituted for experience.
How to Apply:
Apply in-person at Second Harvest Food Bank, 700 Edwards Ave. New Orleans, 70123, Mon. – Fri., 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. Or….
Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Type “Communication and Dev Specialist” as the only content in the subject line of your email.