Position Summary – This position is an integral member of the Development Department, managing a portfolio of foundation, corporate and United Way donors and prospects. Responsibilities include writing a large volume of grant proposals and reports and conducting prospect research to identify funding opportunities. Because the position includes both grant coordination and some front-line fundraising responsibilities, the Grant Writer must possess excellent writing and interpersonal communications skills, as well as a strong analytical and problem-solving approach.
Accountabilities – (not all inclusive)
• Working closely with the Director of Development, a part-time grant writing consultant, and key food bank operations, programs and finance staff, the Grant Writer will:
• Prepare grant proposals and progress reports, implement stewardship and follow-up activities, and take initiative at all stages of the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
• Manage several grant requests at various stages of completion simultaneously.
• Conduct prospect research aimed to build new and strengthen existing relationships with corporate and foundation funders.
• Collaborate with colleagues across the organization, including the finance, operations and program departments, to gather information necessary for grant proposals, reports and other communication. Work closely with other departments to ensure that Second Harvest is meeting all goals of funded grants. Collaborate with the Southwest Louisiana development team on grant writing and reporting.
• Supervise and manage the workflow for a part-time grant writing consultant.
• Plan and execute donor site visits.
• Represent Second Harvest at external functions and take a proactive approach to participating in cultivation activities including presentations, external and internal events, warehouse tours, prospect meetings, follow-up phone calls, letters and emails. Provide timely responses to donor inquiries and acknowledgement of gifts while executing a highly effective donor engagement strategy.
• Maintain the grant proposal and reporting calendar, and ensure that all deadlines are met. Manage the grants filing and tracking system, including maintaining essential documentation, following through on next steps, and providing support for others involved in grants.
• Work with Donor Services to review all thank you letters for grant funders. Ensure that gifts are recorded correctly in Raiser’s Edge. Accurately maintain actions including donor and proposal information in the Raiser’s Edge database.
• Support, as needed, other fundraising and public relations efforts including, but not limited to, fundraising events, public speaking requests, gift processing and volunteer services.
• Adhere to Second Harvest’s Mission, Values Statements and Code of Conduct.
• Earn the trust, respect and confidence of coworkers and food bank stakeholders through consistent honesty, forthrightness and professionalism in all interactions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: At least 2-3 years of experience in grant writing, fundraising, corporate and foundation relations, and/or writing and research in the non-profit sector. Must have a track record of success in securing grant funding and developing partnerships with grant funders.
• Must be able to take a grant from start to finish (i.e., exceptional research, analytical, writing, editing and proofreading skills).
• Flexibility and ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks, produce accurate work and meet tight deadlines, with extraordinary attention to detail. Project management experience, excellent organizational skills, and ability to work positively and productively in a team environment.
• Knowledge of corporate and foundation prospect research tools.
• Strong analytical and technical orientation.
• Ability to interpret nonprofit financials and budget for various purposes.
• Ability to communicate in person and in writing with a diverse population of prospects and donors with varied interests and backgrounds.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising database preferred.
• Intermediate to advanced-level knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• High professional demeanor, appearance and integrity.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
How to Apply
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com.
2. Type “Grant Writer” as the only content in the subject line of your email.