The Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible for the volunteer and community engagement program through-out our Lafayette facility and surrounding parishes. This position coordinates outreach efforts in Second Harvest Food Bank’s western parishes in order to build awareness of volunteer opportunities within our facility and provides technical support to our community partners. This position will require working on some Saturdays.
• Responsible for development of a robust volunteer program in our Lafayette facility.
• Responsible for implementing and abiding by the SHFB Volunteer Policy and Procedure Manual.
• Responsible for volunteer recruitment using a variety of methods including the cultivation of relationships with external partners within the community.
• Responsible for management of volunteers using SHFB’s volunteer software and overseeing the welcome, orientation and supervision of volunteers while on site.
• Responsible for accurately tracking and reporting on volunteer activity.
• Responsible for implementing and management of the Harvest Market at the Lafayette facility held on the last Saturday of the month.
• Serves as the point of contact for telephone, email and walk-in communications.
• Promotes SHFB by giving facility tours and speaking with community groups.
• Assist with the coordination and promoting of community food and fund drives.
• Assist with SHFB special events in the western parishes.
• Performs accurate data entry into inventory software in regards to agency orders, grocery rescue receipts and other tasks as requested.
• Responsible for following USDA, Feeding America, OSHA, AIB Int. and other federal or state guidelines in relation to food, employee and volunteer safety.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent practical knowledge), 1-2 years’ experience with direct contact to the public involving volunteer coordination, public relations, marketing, and/or customer service.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Knowledge of standard office management practices and procedures, including reception, record-keeping, prioritization of work and the use of standard office equipment, including computers. Ability to master in-house software and reporting systems.
• Proficient knowledge in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Excellent problem-solving skills and behavior management skills.
• Strong communication and presentation skills with emphasis on customer service.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com.
2. Type “Community Outreach Coordinator” as the only content in the subject line of your email.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer.