POSITION SUMMARY: Overall responsibility is to lead the effort in fulfilling an aggressive fundraising goal to underwrite our southwest Louisiana operations. Responsible for all aspects of development, including fundraising from individuals, corporations and foundations; grant writing; fundraising events; and associated communications, public relations, volunteerism and community engagement initiatives.
• Develop fundraising strategy and plan for southwest Louisiana.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward middle- and major-level individual donors.
• Corporate and foundation fundraising: strengthen relationships with current donors, identify new prospects and solicit donations; develop corporate sponsorship opportunities; and work in partnership with the New Orleans development team on writing grant proposals and reports.
• Conduct prospect research to identify new funding sources.
• Develop and implement fundraising events that generate revenue, boost brand awareness and engage the community.
• Communications and marketing: help develop the case for support for our work in southwest Louisiana and build relationships with key media partners.
• Engage individual and corporate volunteers in our mission.
• Accurately maintain donor information and activity in Raiser’s Edge.
• Support, as needed, fundraising and public relations efforts, including, but not limited to, events, public speaking/media requests and volunteer relations.
• Regional travel required.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education: Undergraduate degree preferred. Any specialized training and/or certification in the development field is a plus. Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies. Excellent written and verbal communication, and relationship-building skills required. Intermediate-level computer skills, particularly in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Able to build rapport with donors, volunteers, and the public with diplomacy, discretion and customer-service orientation.
• Capable of aligning donor priorities with the company’s strategic goals.
• Strong time management and multi-tasking skills; must be able to monitor and meet deadlines.
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail teamed with a flexible and adaptable style, an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative, out-of-the-box thinking.
• Self-starter; able to thrive in a fast-paced, expanding environment with limited on-site supervision.
• Able to work well in a team-oriented, goals-driven department that emphasizes a friendly culture and ownership of work responsibilities.
• Commitment to the mission of Second Harvest Food Bank.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Type “Development Manager” as the only content in the subject line of your email.