The Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible for the volunteer and community engagement program through-out our Lafayette facility and surrounding parishes. This position coordinates outreach efforts in SHFB’s western parishes in order to build awareness of volunteer opportunities. This position is temporary with the potential to become permanent.
• Responsible for development of a robust volunteer program in our Lafayette facility.
• Responsible for abiding by the SHFB Volunteer Policy and Procedure Manual.
• Responsible for volunteer recruitment using a variety of methods including the cultivation of relationships with external partners within the community.
• Responsible for management of volunteers using SHFB’s volunteer software and overseeing the welcome, orientation and supervision of volunteers while on site.
• Responsible for accurately tracking and reporting on volunteer activity.
• Serves as back-up for telephone, email and walk-in communications.
• Promotes SHFB by giving facility tours and speaking with community groups.
• Assist with SHFB special events in the western parishes.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent practical knowledge), 1-2 years’ experience with direct contact to the public involving volunteer coordination, public relations, marketing, and/or customer service.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Knowledge of standard office management practices and procedures, including reception, record-keeping, prioritization of work and the use of standard office equipment, including computers. Ability to master in-house software and reporting systems.
• Proficient knowledge in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Excellent problem-solving skills and behavior management skills.
• Strong communication and presentation skills with emphasis on customer service.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to apply:
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Type “Community Outreach” as the only content in the subject line of your email.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer.