Job Openings: Class B Driver (2 positions, Lafayette & New Orleans)
Position Summary – Collect and deliver fresh, frozen, and processed food products throughout southeast Louisiana. Transport product in a safe and efficient manner using a box truck. Maintain required logs. Perform warehouse duties when not driving.
Duties and Responsibilities (not all inclusive)
• Timely and professional execution of pickups, deliveries, and relocation of product.
• Inspect product donations to ensure that safety and sanitation standards are met.
• Develop and maintain rapport with donors, agencies, and volunteers to foster continued support and professional working relationships.
• Perform duties in accordance with the company’s safety policies and injury prevention guidelines.
• Maintain accurate and complete logs, route sheets, etc.
• Maintain all licenses, certifications, and medical cards as defined by the company, DOT, state, federal, and industry-mandated requirements.
• Perform routine inspection, light maintenance, and cleaning of assigned vehicles and equipment, reporting problems, defects, and repairs to management immediately.
• Assist in general warehouse duties when not actively involved in driving duties.
• Assist in maintaining clean, safe, and orderly facilities and grounds.
• Attend community-based functions and company-sponsored meetings as appropriate (e.g., special events, food drives, professional development workshops, staff meetings, etc.)
• Complies with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain professional and courteous conduct.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Qualifications: Minimum of two (2) years professional truck driving experience, preferably in a food-related environment. Valid Louisiana Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Up-to-date medical card and an acceptable driving record. Forklift certification a plus or experience operating a forklift with willingness to obtain certification.
Skills and Capabilities:
• Ability to drive a box truck and to operate standard warehouse equipment including, but not limited to, pallet jacks, forklifts, and dock levelers.
• Familiarity with parishes in southwest Louisiana.
• Ability to work steadily and independently with minimum supervision and to follow standardized procedures.
• Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions—both heat and cold—and to work within varying indoor temperatures (e.g., freezers, coolers, and buildings that are not temperature controlled).
• Capable of safely exerting force and/or lifting or moving up to 50 pounds frequently, and heavier items occasionally.
• Walk, sit, squat, bend, twist, and reach at various heights above and below shoulder level.
• Must have basic math skills and have the ability to read, comprehend, and follow instructions.
• Basic computer knowledge helpful to complete electronic timecards, access email, etc.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain good relationships with people of various ages, educational, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Ability to work within an organization emphasizing teamwork, excellence, and accountability.
• Commitment to the mission of Second Harvest Food Bank.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and competencies for the position may be substituted for education.
How to Apply:
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com
2. Type “Class B Driver” as the only content in the subject line of your email
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer.