Position Summary: This dual-role position fulfills both warehouse and driving responsibilities. Warehouse tasks include receiving, storing, handling, shipping, and preparing product for delivery while maintaining the warehouse in a safe and orderly fashion. Driving functions include collecting and delivering fresh, frozen, and processed food products throughout the company’s service area.
Accountabilities (not all inclusive):
• Pull orders; pack, wrap, label, and ship product; load and unload vehicles.
• Receive goods; sort incoming donations into appropriate categories according to established standards and procedures.
• Verify incoming and outgoing stock for the purpose of ensuring specifications, quantity, and quality of orders are correct.
• Work efficiently to facilitate the identification, quick retrieval, and dispatch of product (i.e., minimize waste).
• Operate and maintain warehouse machinery and equipment (e.g., forklifts, pallet jacks, etc.).
• Timely and professional execution of pickups, deliveries, and relocation of product.
• Perform routine inspection, light maintenance, and cleaning of assigned vehicles and equipment, reporting problems, defects, or repairs to management immediately.
• Maintain accurate and complete logs, route sheets, and other such records.
• Ensure CDL license and medical certification are kept up-to-date.
• Provide quality customer service; develop and maintain rapport with donors, agencies, volunteers, and other business partners to foster continued support and professional working relationships.
• Adhere to all safety and security guidelines.
• Maintain clean, safe, orderly, and sanitary vehicles, facilities, and grounds.
Minimum two years of professional truck driving experience, preferably in a food-related environment. Valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with an acceptable driving record. Up-to-date medical examiner’s certificate. At least two years of experience assisting in the receipt, storage, and issuance of materials from a centralized stockroom or warehouse. Forklift certification a plus or experience operating a forklift with willingness to obtain certification.
Skills and Capabilities:
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes.
• Ability to drive assigned vehicle and to operate standard warehouse equipment including, but not limited to, pallet jacks, forklifts, dock levelers, and other materials-handling equipment.
• Familiar with parishes in the company’s service area.
• Able and willing to work in extreme weather conditions and to work within varying indoor temperatures (e.g., freezers, coolers, and buildings that are not temperature controlled).
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Basic math skills with the ability to read, comprehend, and follow instructions/procedures.
• Able to work in a physically demanding environment which includes lifting and/or moving material weighing up to 50 pounds frequently, and heavier items occasionally.
• Walk, sit, squat, bend, twist, and reach at various heights above and below shoulder level.
• Basic computer knowledge helpful to complete electronic timecards, access email, etc.
• Ability to work in a results-oriented environment and perform against established performance standards
• Able to work overtime as required.
How to Apply:
1. Apply in-person at Second Harvest Food Bank, 700 Edwards Ave. New Orleans, 70123, Mon. – Fri., 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. Or….
2. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Type “Warehouse Specialist/Driver” as the only content in the subject line of your email.