POSITION SUMMARY: Implement a focused major gifts development plan with the goals of cultivating relationships, stewarding donors, and soliciting $5,000+ gifts from major donors and prospects. The primary focus is on individual donors, but this position will also have accountability for some corporate and foundation giving. The Major Gifts Officer will consult on capital campaign strategy and campaign efforts, as needed. This position will work in collaboration with the Development and Communications Team, President and CEO, other members of the Executive Leadership team, and the company’s Development Committee and Board on major gifts strategy and execution.
• Develop and execute a plan for soliciting $5,000+gifts in the context of an annual revenue goal of approximately $700,000 for individual, corporate and foundation major gifts and sponsorships.
• Manage a portfolio of 50-100 donors and prospects. This includes all phases of the gift cycle (identifying and qualifying new prospects, initiating contact with donors, customizing cultivation and solicitation strategies, engaging in direct solicitation or facilitating solicitation meetings as appropriate, and implementing stewardship initiatives). Prepare personalized solicitation packages that focus on organizational needs, funder interests and recognition, as appropriate.
• Help plan and execute major donor cultivation, stewardship and fundraising events.
• Work closely with Second Harvest’s Development Committee and Board of Directors on major donor strategy, cultivation and solicitation.
• Collaborate with the Fundraising Events Specialist, Grants Team and Volunteer Services on corporate and foundation giving and sponsorships. Solicit sponsorships for fundraising events.
• Strong orientation towards an analytical and data/goal-driven major gifts program. Work closely with the Director of Development and Donor Services Supervisor on implementing the portfolio management system, measurement and reporting of metrics/progress in Raiser’s Edge. Report monthly on activity and results compared to goals and objectives. Consistently maintain up-to-date data, notes and actions in Raiser’s Edge.
• Cooperate with the President and CEO and Director of Development on board giving, with focus on 100% board participation. Develop incentive program to motivate growth.
• Consult on capital campaign strategy development and campaign efforts, as needed.
• Collaborate with Communications Team on select donor materials. Participate in media interviews as spokesperson for Second Harvest, as requested.
• Provide support for Development Manager and major gifts and foundation/corporate giving strategy in southwest Louisiana.
• Be able to translate the company’s mission and programs into fundraising initiatives that garner strong and consistent financial support.
• Spend the majority of time out of the office engaging with donors. Work independently and be self-motivated in contacting donors through face-to-face meetings and solicitations.
• Engage in networking and ongoing professional development activities.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures.
• Maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree and/or CFRE certification a plus. 5+ years of experience executing successful major gifts programs with a track record of securing five and six-figure gifts.
SKILLS AND CAPABILITIES: The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Ability to develop successful strategies and an actionable framework for major gifts.
• Track record of accountability and leadership in major gifts, working in concert with a team of development/communications professionals and volunteers.
• Experience collaborating with Development Committees and board members on major gifts.
• Knowledge of and experience with Raiser’s Edge and prospect research tools.
• Ability to build rapport with prospects, donors, volunteers and the public with diplomacy, discretion and customer-service orientation.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communications skills.
• Respect for confidentiality and accuracy in handling donor information.
• Strong work ethic with the ability to work well in a team-oriented, goals-driven department.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be substituted for experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Type “Major Gifts Officer” as the only content in the subject line of your email.