Job opening: Assistant Controller
POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Controller will report directly to the Controller. Assistant Controller should be experienced in all aspects of financial management, including financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, payroll processing, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures.
Second Harvest Food Bank (SHFB) believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the company; that contribution should not be limited by the work identified, assigned tasks, and overall responsibilities. Each employee is expected to offer his/her talents, expertise, and services whenever necessary to ensure the achievement of company goals.
• Responsible for the processing, posting and reconciling of general ledger entries.
• Support all financial reporting and accounting functions including accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll and monthly financial statement reporting.
• Assist with monthly preparation of financial statements.
• Complete bank reconciliations and post necessary adjusting entries.
• Maintain, and update on a monthly basis the depreciation, pre-paid, accrued expenses, investments activity and other reoccurring journal entries.
• Responsible for the recording and depreciation of fixed assets in system.
• Review for accuracy and approve accounts payable check runs
• Responsible for assisting the Controller in generating capital and operations budgets while being responsible for the Personnel budget including salaries, taxes, and benefits.
• Responsible for the revenue and expenditure recognition and classification by required restrictions related to grant or donor gifts.
• Assist with annual audit.
• Responsible for managing and processing of bi-weekly payroll and maintaining of the time keeping system
• Regular responsibilities include additional duties as assigned to meet company needs.
• Participation in meetings and committees as appropriate is required.
• Willingness to comply with all SHFB policies and procedures and maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
Experience: Three to five years’ experience in financial management; a professional demeanor and a thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and financial management information systems.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• A working knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and the ability to perform complex clerical and accounting activities.
• Must be detail oriented, an independent worker with excellent problem solving, analytical, and organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task with a strong sense of meeting deadlines.
• Good organizational, communication, and time management skills.
• Must exercise strong customer service and diplomacy skills.
• High degree of professionalism, flexibility and initiative.
• Intermediate-level knowledge of MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Committed to organizational mission to ending hunger.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply:
Success, you have been subscribed.