POSITION SUMMARY: Second Harvest Food Bank is seeking a part-time, highly-motivated Accounting Clerk to provide assistance with all accounting and clerical functions. This individual will assist with processing cash receipts and disbursements and other administrative duties within the Finance department.
• Assist with the cash receipts, opening and sorting of mail, ensuring accurate separation of receipts by program, and preparation of deposits.
• Assist with accounts payable functions, timely, and accurate processing of invoices, and purchase requisitions using a purchase order system.
• Verifying the validity of invoices, purchase request, and ensure proper authorization and coding.
• Maintain accurate electronic files on vendors, fixed assets and other required financial records.
• Monitor the accounts receivable ledgers to ensure all payments are accounted for and properly posted.
• Generate necessary reports, detailing unpaid invoices. Utilize reports to research any discrepancies and pursue collection on delinquent accounts.
• Assist with annual preparation and submission of 1099 reporting.
• Assist with the preparation of journal entries and monthly closing entries.
• Assist with year-end audit preparation.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
• Participate in meetings and committees as appropriate.
• Comply with all SHFB policies and procedures and maintain a professional, positive, and courteous demeanor.
Education: An associate degree in accounting or equivalent education/experience.
Experience: 1-2 years related work experience.
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• A working knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and the ability to perform complex clerical and entry level accounting activities.
• Must be detail-oriented, an independent worker with excellent problem solving, analytical, and organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task with a strong sense of meeting deadlines.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Must exercise strong customer service and diplomacy skills.
• High degree of professionalism, flexibility and initiative.
• Intermediate-level knowledge of MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Committed to organizational mission to ending hunger.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply:
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com.
2. Type “Accounting Clerk” as the only content in the subject line of your email.