The position is an integral member of the Development Department, managing a portfolio of corporate and foundation donors and prospects. Responsibilities include writing a large volume of grant proposals and reports for corporate and foundation funders and assisting with prospect research to identify funding opportunities. Because the position includes both grant coordination and some front-line fundraising responsibilities, the Corporate and Foundation Relations Officer must possess strong problem-solving skills, a solution-oriented focus, an orientation toward multi-tasking and resourcefulness. The position will develop and implement activities that support and strengthen the entire Development Department.
Working closely with the Associate Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the Corporate and Foundation Relations Officer will develop and implement strategies and tactics to:
• Prepare grant proposals and progress reports, implement stewardship and follow-up activities, and take initiative at all stages of the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects. Position will help track organization’s grant activity and serve as a grant writer of winning proposals.
• Manage several grant requests at various stages of completion simultaneously.
• Assist with prospect research aimed at building new and strengthening existing relationships with corporate and foundation funders.
• Represent Second Harvest at external functions and take a proactive approach to participating in cultivation activities including presentations, external and internal events, warehouse tours, prospect meetings, follow-up phone calls, letters and emails.
• Spend time out of the office engaging with potential and existing donors. Work independently and be self-motivated in contacting donors through face-to-face meetings and solicitations.
• Develop and cultivate partnerships with major corporations and local businesses to raise support through programmatic sponsorships, events, and/or formal grant processes.
• Collaborate with colleagues across the organization, including the finance, operations, and program teams, to gather information necessary for grant proposals, reports, and other communication. Work closely with programs, operations, and communications teams to ensure that Second Harvest is meeting all goals of funded grants. Collaborate with the Southwest Louisiana development team on grant writing and reporting.
• Work with the Associate Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations to maintain the grant proposal and reporting calendar, and ensure that all deadlines are met. Manage the grants filing and tracking system, including maintaining essential documentation, tracking next steps, and providing support for others immersed in the grant process.
• Work with Donor Services to review all thank you letters for grant funders. Ensure that gifts are recorded correctly in Raiser’s Edge.
• Accurately maintain actions including donor and proposal information in the Raiser’s Edge database.
• Engage in networking and ongoing professional development activities.
• Support, as needed, other fundraising and public relations efforts including, but not limited to, fundraising events, public speaking requests, and volunteer services.
• Adhere to Second Harvest’s Mission, Values Statements and Code of Conduct.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: 1-3 years of experience in grant writing, fundraising, corporate and foundation relations, and/or writing and research in the non-profit sector. Demonstrated success in securing grant funding and developing partnerships and revenue opportunities with funders.
• Must be able to take a funding proposal from start to finish (i.e., exceptional research, writing, editing and proofreading skills).
• Flexibility and ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks, produce accurate work and meet tight deadlines, with extraordinary attention to detail. Project management experience, excellent organizational skills, and ability to work positively and productively in a team environment.
• Knowledge of corporate and foundation prospect research tools.
• Ability to interpret nonprofit financials and budgets for various purposes.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to communicate in person and in writing with a diverse population of prospects and donors with varied interests and backgrounds.
• Equally comfortable playing external and internal roles, demonstrating a professional and warm demeanor in developing relationships with a variety of stakeholders; strong relationship building skills.
• Ability to build rapport with prospects, donors, volunteers and the public with diplomacy, discretion and customer-service orientation.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising database preferred.
• Intermediate to advanced-level knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• High professional demeanor, appearance and integrity.
• Strong sense of teamwork and ability to collaborate across teams.
• Self-starter with the ability to be flexible and adapt.
• Demonstrated knowledge of South Louisiana philanthropic landscape is a plus.
How to Apply
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com.
2. Type “Corporate and Foundation Relations Officer” as the only content in the subject line of your email.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer.