Second Harvest Food Bank is looking to hire two Nutrition Educators – one based in New Orleans & one based in Lafayette.
The Nutrition Educator provides nutrition education information, materials, and activities to community members across Second Harvest’s South Louisiana service area. Reporting to the Nutrition Coordinator, the Nutrition Educator will share knowledge and/or conduct trainings on the topics of nutrition, gardening, cooking, culinary skills, food resource management, and/or food safety to a diverse range of ages through both in-person and virtually instruction.
• In collaboration with supervising Nutrition Coordinator and other team members, develop, implement, and evaluate nutrition education initiatives.
• Create nutrition education outreach and information materials, such flyers, handouts, recipe cards, etc.
• Facilitate nutrition education activities through in-person and virtual instruction, including recipe tastings, cooking demonstrations, grocery budgeting, gardening, etc.
• Create, test, and analyze new recipes for partner agencies, food bank programs, and community members that meet the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans requirements.
• Assist in the creation and maintenance of library of nutrition education resources.
• Maintain program calendars for all nutrition education activities.
• In collaboration with Program Coordinators, provide support to partner agencies in the form of information, advice and materials/supplies, as available.
• Respond to partner agencies requests for programming, scheduling activities as appropriate.
• Monitor and report on data collected through nutrition education activities.
• Conduct outreach and develop and maintain strategic relationships within the community to increase the visibility of the Nutrition Education Program and Second Harvest Food Bank.
• Foster an inclusive, safe and fun learning environment for all partners and participating community members.
• Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team to create articles and promote nutrition education programming via website and social media.
• Represent Second Harvest at community meetings as appropriate.
• Comply with all Second Harvest policies and procedures.
• Maintain professional, positive, and courteous manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned to meet company needs.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, public health, or equivalent degree/training required.
Experience, Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Knowledge of basic nutrition and health-related topics.
• Competency with basic cooking skills and techniques.
• Proven success building community partnerships.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to make presentations and develop reports that may include technical information.
• Experience working with and training volunteers.
• Interest in community organizing, community food systems, and hunger/poverty issues.
• Program evaluation skills and demonstrated experience, including the development of logic models, evaluation plans and instruments, and analysis of results.
• Strong customer service skills and willingness to assist others.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and be flexible with working hours to meet the community member and class schedule, which may include evenings and weekends
• Proficient knowledge of English grammar, spelling and usage.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Office environment (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) and standard office equipment.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail, ability to handle interruptions, maintain focus on tasks and produce accurate work.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Fluency in Spanish.
• Any general teaching/instructing or culinary experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, familiarity, and sensitivity to hunger and health issues.
• Knowledge of federal nutrition programs.
• Master of Public Health or similar degree.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
How to Apply:
1. Email resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Type “Nutrition Educator” as the only content in the subject line of your email.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer