Our Summer Feeding program provides low-income children enrolled in Orleans and Jefferson Parish summer camps with a free breakfast and lunch each day. All of the meals are prepared in the Community Kitchen located at 700 Edwards Ave in Elmwood and then sent out for delivery. Our VISTAs are a vital part of this program that aims to deliver 6-7,000 breakfast and lunch meals daily to approximately 4,000 children over the summer.
About AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates
AmeriCorps operates a short-term program during the summer months known as VISTA Summer Associates. AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates will serve a 10 week term at participating anti-hunger and anti-poverty organizations in 12 states to build capacity, implement new projects and provide technical support to organizations in underserved communities. This year, the Corporation for National and Community Service has awarded several AmeriCorps positions to Second Harvest to assist with this year’s Summer Feeding program.
To meet our needs, Second Harvest is seeking committed individuals over the age of 18 to fill AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate roles working as delivery drivers, administrative assistants and in meal production for a 10-week term from May 31st – August 8th. Associates must be able to commit to the entire 10-week term.
Criteria for consideration as participant in the AmeriCorps VISTA Program:
* Associated must be at least 18 years of age at the time of placement (May 31, 2016)
* Associates must serve on a full-time basis during the project period
* Associates must be a U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident
* Associates must not be listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry
* A $1,222.22 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $287.70 summer end-of-service stipend
* On-site orientation and training
* A bi-weekly living allowance of $449.08 to cover necessities during service
* Involvement in the AmeriCorps VISTA Alumni Network and eCommunity
Associates do not receive:
* Health Care
* Life Insurance
* Child Care Allowances
* Relocation Allowances
* Sick or Personal/Vacation Time (Holidays are allowable as days off)
Please follow these links to the AmeriCorps website and complete the online application.
Administrative Assistant https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=66716&fromSearch=true
Questions: Please contact Vanessa Cave-Herazo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-729-2850.